Welcome Back Portland 2022
- Mar 12, 2022
- Portland, Oregon, United States
- 310 SW Lincoln St
Columbia Falls Ballroom
- Organization team
- Asher Kim-Magierek and Kit Clement
- WCA Delegates
- Chris Martin, Jason White, Kit Clement, Lauren Clement, and Matthew Dickman
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
This competition is recognized as an official World Cube Association competition. Therefore, all competitors must be familiar with the WCA regulations. If you are new to competing, please refer to the Competitor Responsibilities tab. Please also be sure to review the Health and Safety tab to check additional COVID-19 requirements for this competition.
Join our facebook group to hear about competitions in the Pacific Northwest before they're announced and keep in touch with cubers in the area!
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 60 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $25 (United States Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until by contacting the organization team.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Spectators are only permitted as companions of competitors.
Your registration will not be confirmed (moved from the waiting list) until payment has been completed. Please note that even after payment, registrations need to be manually approved before appearing on the registration list.
By registering, competitors agree to the information in the Competitor Responsibilities tab. This tab details the responsibilites of all competitors at this competition. Not abiding by these responsibilities can result in disqualification.
By registering, you and all guests that attend on your registration agree to the information in the Health and Safety tab. Note that this competition has COVID-19 testing/vaccine requirements to attend the competition as a competitor or a guest, and that registrations are limited to one guest.
Both the competitor list and waiting list are filled for this competition. We cannot accept any more competitors to the waiting list. Spectators who are not registered competitors or guests will not be admitted to this competition.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Sameer Aggarwal||6.26||6.87||United States||8.42||6.26||7.15||6.53||6.94|
|4x4x4 Cube||Max Siauw||26.21||29.18||United States||29.46||29.06||29.02||33.50||26.21|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||Jason White||37.35||DNF||United States||DNF||37.35||DNF|
|Clock||Kit Clement||6.45||8.14||United States||26.55||6.45||8.59||6.94||8.90|
|Square-1||Max Siauw||6.04||6.35||United States||6.26||6.04||6.22||7.78||6.57|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 24 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 10 advance to next round|
|4x4x4 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00 cumulative *||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Final||Ao5||10:00.00 cumulative *|
|3x3x3 Blindfolded||First round||Bo3||15:00.00 cumulative *||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Final||Bo3||15:00.00 cumulative *|
|Clock||First round||Ao5||2:00.00 cumulative *||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Final||Ao5||2:00.00 cumulative *|
|Square-1||First round||Ao5||3:00.00 cumulative *||Top 10 advance to next round|
|Final||Ao5||3:00.00 cumulative *|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue University Place Hotel.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/Los_Angeles.
Schedule for Saturday (March 12, 2022)
ALL COMPETITORS MUST READ THIS TAB BEFORE REGISTERING.
FOR FIRST-TIME COMPETITORS:
There are multiple things a first-timer must know before competing. All newcomers must be familiar with the WCA Regulations before competing. There is a video here for the basic overview of the rules.
In addition, please read this document before coming to the competition to learn about the procedures for judging.
When you arrive, you will receive a card/nametag with personalized information detailing your events and what group you will be competing in for each event. In addition, you will also receive staffing assignments. All competitors are expected to help at this competition. For each event you sign up for, you will be assigned to help out for just one group of that event. If you do not arrive to help during your scheduled event, and there are not enough staff members, we reserve the right to disqualify you from competing.
We will provide a judging tutorial at the beginning of the day, right before the start of the 3x3x3 speedsolve event. This will allow anyone with questions about how to judge to be properly prepared when they are expected to help. We hope that this system will fairly divide up the judging of the competition and make the competition run smoothly for all.
Due to ongoing circumstances, the organizing team is enforcing restrictions during the competition which will impact the running of the competition. Here are the most important changes.
- Masks are to be required at all times, and must cover your nose and mouth. If you refuse to wear a mask inside of the venue, you will be disqualified from the competition and be asked to leave the premises. There will be NO exceptions to this policy, as this is a mandate brought by the State of Oregon and Portland State University. Please eat all food outside of the venue.
- All competitors and guests age 5 and older must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or Antigen acceptable, but no at-home tests) within 48 hours of the competition to attend. This requirement can be met by completing a valid two-dose or one-dose series at least two weeks before the competition. Competitors can email a photo of their cards in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring them in-person upon check-in.
- Competitors should not attend the competition if experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or if they were exposed to someone with COVID-19. If this occurs to you, the organizers will offer the competitor a full refund.
- Competitors will only be allowed to bring ONE guest to the competition. The first three rules apply to the guest as well as the competitor.
- When not competing, competitors and spectators should attempt to socially distance whenever possibly by keeping 3 feet away from others. We also encourage you not to share puzzles with other competitors.
- The competition will be using a fixed seating system, rather than a standard waiting area. This means when you compete, you will complete all of your attempts in one sitting with the same judge. Instead of being called to a different station for each attempt, you will submit your puzzle at the drop-off table and go to your assigned station and remaini there for all of your solves of that event.
- After every attempt, rather than the judge putting the puzzle in the cover, the competitor is asked to put the puzzle into the cover at the end of the attempt. The judge will only put in the scorecard.
- After you finish competing, your judge will disinfect the station with a disinfection wipe.
- Officials and staff will be following special procedures to continue to lower chance of transmission of COVID-19, such as utilizing sanitizer frequently and distancing.
Additional rules may be added as deemed necessary by the organizers, the WCA Board, or local/national governments.
By registering for this competition you agree that you understand and will follow all the information listed above.
If you'd like to stay in the same building as the competition venue, book your hotel room at the link here. You can also call 503-221-0140 to book a room. You may be able to secure a better rate by calling and saying you are here for this event.
The competition will be held in the Columbia Falls Ballroom at the University Place Hotel on Portland State University's campus.
Parking in the hotel's lot is $3 an hour, $12 a day, or $15 overnight. Many lots on the PSU campus offer a much cheaper hourly and daily rate. More information on PSU's available lots can be found here. Privately owned lots may be even cheaper for parking.
If you live locally, transit may be the easiest and cheapest option for you to come to the competition. The SW Lincoln St stop on the Orange line is right in front of the venue. The venue is also quite close to the downtown end of the Green line, and is four stops away from the Red/Blue lines. Several bus lines also serve Portland State. Check your transit directions using this link.
This competition will be sponsored by TheCubicle! Thanks so much to them for their continued support.
Gift card prizes will be given out to all who place in the top 3 of each event. For 3x3x3, the third prize is $10, second prize is $15, and first prize is $20. For all other events, third prize is $5, second prize is $7, and first prize is $10.
Because this competition will be using fixed seating, we will be implementing competitor limits for certain events due to the lack of flexibility in scheduling for fixed seating. Events with competitor limits are listed below:
- 4x4x4 Cube: 48 competitors
- 3x3x3 Blindfolded: 24 competitors
- Clock: 24 competitors
- Square-1: 36 competitors
If you sign up for an event and it is already full, we will remove it from your registration and note the order in which you were on the waiting list for that event. If any other competitor drops out of that event for any reason, we will add the event back to registrations in the order of that event's waiting list. If you would like to update your events for this competition, please email the organization team using the contact form linked on the "General Info" tab.
Face-Turning Octahedron (FTO) will be held with the help of Extra Events. We will have one round of FTO during lunch, as seen on the schedule. Only those who register for the competition normally may register for the event. There is no additional registration cost for competing in FTO, but you must have an approved registration on the WCA website before registering. We will accept registrations online for this event until 11am on the day of the event.
FTO will be held with an average of 5 format. There is no cutoff time, but there is a cumulative 10 minute time limit across all 5 solves.
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.