Cal Poly SLO Spring 2022
- Mar 19, 2022
- San Luis Obispo, California, United States
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Engineering IV (Building 192) Room 106
- Allison Stauffer and Paul Mahvi
- WCA Delegates
- Chris Martin and Michael Chai (柴天方)
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
Spectators who are not associated with a registered competitor will NOT be permitted to enter the venue.
All persons entering the venue must either show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 OR proof of a negative covid test that was taken within 3 days (72 hours) of entering the venue. Registrations will be accepted in the order that they PAY, not the order they register. If you are experiencing any COVID symptoms, please do not attend.
NO Eating or Drinking allowed inside the venue
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 48 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $25 (United States Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 50% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until by contacting the organization team.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
- Competitors may request (by email) to be added to more events BEFORE registration closes.
- Competitors may not add events after registration closes.
- Competitors may request (by email) to remove events from their registration. It is also acceptable to not show up for any event you do not wish to compete in, although it is not encouraged.
If Registration fills up, we will place competitors on a waitlist. In order to get on the waitlist, you must register and pay. You are not on the waitlist until you pay the registration fee. If you do not make it off of the waitlist, you will be fully refunded. If a competitor drops out, the first person on the waitlist will replace them. People can be replaced up until the registration close date indicated above.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||Max Park||5.30||6.72||United States||6.33||7.24||6.59||7.68||5.30|
|2x2x2 Cube||Varun Mohanraj||1.31||1.94||United States||1.31||2.60||1.49||2.83||1.72|
|5x5x5 Cube||Max Park||38.50||40.35||United States||39.76||42.12||42.27||38.50||39.17|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||Max Park||8.66||9.41||United States||11.24||8.99||10.58||8.66||8.67|
|Megaminx||Brendyn Dunagan||42.18||46.08||United States||51.64||45.71||49.12||42.18||43.42|
|Pyraminx||Samuel Low||2.04||2.27||United States||2.91||2.05||2.36||2.40||2.04|
|Square-1||Brendyn Dunagan||6.05||7.84||United States||9.01||6.56||6.05||8.53||8.44|
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 24 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||10:00.00||Top 12 advance to next round|
|2x2x2 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||30.00||2 attempts to get < 15.00||Top 12 advance to next round|
|5x5x5 Cube||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||3:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:00.00||Top 6 advance to next round|
|3x3x3 One-Handed||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||1:00.00||2 attempts to get < 40.00|
|Megaminx||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||3:00.00||2 attempts to get < 2:00.00|
|Pyraminx||First round||Bo2 / Ao5||30.00||2 attempts to get < 15.00||Top 12 advance to next round|
|Square-1||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||1:00.00||2 attempts to get < 30.00|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone America/Los_Angeles.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Saturday (March 19, 2022)
Upon closing of registration, we will send out an email inquiring the interest of experienced competitors to participate as staff for this competition. Those small and selected group of staff will receive a full refund of their registration after the competition is over as long as they performed according to their responsibilities' descriptions. We will be asking for your full time and availability in the time and positions we schedule you to and will also be considerate of breaks in between. However, it is also encouraged for staff when they don't have a set position to take up judging to assist the smoothness of the competition. Staff pizza will also be provided outside the room to accomodate food and drink restrictions.
ALL COMPETITORS MUST READ THIS TAB BEFORE REGISTERING.
Before the competition, you will receive a card/nametag with personalized information detailing your events and what group you will be competing in for each event in an email. We will be relying on competitors to help by judging whenever they are not competing, especially with our small competition size. Judging is very easy, and is a great way to make time fly!
We will provide a judging and competitor tutorial at the beginning of the day, right before the start of 3x3, which will also overview our new procedures. This will allow anyone with questions about how to judge to be properly prepared when they are expected to help.
We will need help judging for the second/final rounds of events as we can not assign staff for those in advance. Spectators are encouraged to learn how to judge; you do not need to know how to cube in order to be a great judge. Having enough judges ensures that we stay on schedule and are able to leave on time.
- Each competitor may bring at most one (1) guest. If you can come alone, that would be even better!
- All competitors and their (one) guest, regardless of vaccination status, must wear a mask (correctly) at all times while indoors (This includes while competing, No Exceptions!). If you forget to bring a mask to the competition, disposable masks will be avalible. If you need to eat or drink anything, you must do so outside.
- Each competitor and their (one) guest must provide proof of vaccination OR a negative covid test taken no more than 3 days (72 hours) before the start of the competition. We will be checking for this prior to entering the venue.
- If you feel unwell, have a cough, fever, and/or shortness of breath, do not attend. If you show any signs of being sick, you will not be allowed inside and will be asked to leave
- Please avoid sharing puzzles with others and avoid any unnecessary contact with non-family members.
- Before AND after helping, ALL runners, judges, and scramblers must use hand sanatizer (this will be readily avalible around the venue).
- Gloves will be provided to scramblers, runners, and judges, if they wish to use them. They will need to be switched out between each group with new gloves and sanitize their hands.
- Avoid touching anything other than the cubes, cube covers, score cards, or pens used while fufulling your duties.
- If you test positive for covid less than 2 weeks after the competition, please email us right away and we will send an email to all competitors letting them know and instructing them to get tested and quarantine (we will not mention your name in the email).
- During this competition, we will be doing each round stationary. When your group is called, you will pick a solving station and will stay there until you have completed all of your official solves. After each use of a solving station, the timer and mat will be disinfected for the next competitior. There will be no competitor waiting area.
You may find our full mitigation procedures using our Risk Management Plan
By registering for this competition you agree that you understand and will follow all the information listed above.
For those of you new to cubing, WELCOME!
We wanted to let you know this event is perfectly fine for cubers of any age and experience. We just ask you know a couple things before coming to compete...
First, please be familiar with the WCA Regulations, found here:
This video will explain most of what any cuber competing for the first time will need to know. However, it is still the competitors responsibility to be familiar with the full set of regulations.
If you have any questions after watching this video, we will be having a new competitor tutorial right before 3x3. That would be the perfect time to ask those questions and clear up any confusion.
Head over to the registration tab, if you are ready to sign-up for your first competiton! Click register, and fill out the information that it asks for. This will help you get set up into the WCA's system and one step closer to your first official solve!
Q: Do I use my own cube to compete?
A: YES! You are responsible for your own hardware in order to compete.
Q: What is the normal age of competitors at these events?
A: All ages are welcome, but in general competitors are between 10 and 20 years old. Don't let this stop you though, everyone can and should cube!
Q: What is the competition like?
A; Competitions are a bunch of tables where nerds like us get to sit and discuss our favorite thing, Cubes! Of course in addition there is competing, which will occupy one side of the competition hall, where you will see lots of timers flickering with contestants new personal bests. Most competitions have a break for lunch, and the competing is split up into groups, as to better organize who competes when. (Check the Groups tab and listen at the competition for more info on this.)
Q: How do I find results?
A: All results are posted on the WCA page a couple of days after the competition finishes. However, for the day of competing, search WCA Live to find information about current events. This is also where you will find information about 2nd and 3rd rounds of events.
Q: Why am I not on the registration list yet?
A: Make sure you pay your registration fee in order to be automatically placed on the registered list, which will also guarantee you a spot in the competition. If payment may be any issue, or you are not sure if you can attend, use the contact button to talk to us, and see if we can work out another payment strategy, or have you pay on arrival at the compeition. No matter what you situation may be however, please register online. It is much easier for us to have you register now and pay later, then to have to input information at another time.
Q: Are there age divisions?
A: Nope! All competitors compete in the same group.
Q: Can I have fun at this event?
A: HECK YES! Cubing is amazing, and we sincerely hope you enjoy the competition!
Dear fellow parents & guardians,
If you are interested in helping out the competition, it would be great if you would be able to help us judge competitors. We are always in need of judges, and if you find yourself bored at the competitions, this is a great way to interact with other competitors and the organization team! We will be holding a tutorial on how to judge in the morning, so feel free to join if this is something that appeals to you!
- We segment our competitors to compete in "groups" at a time. For example, while group 1 is competing, group 2 will be spectating or helping.
- We are assigning each competitor a group for each event they are registered for. Please check below to see which groups you've been assigned to.
- As well as assigning competing groups, we will be assigning judging groups as well. Basically you will be judging the group that you are not competing in. We are holding a judging and running tutorial in the morning.
Individual name tags can be found here, please use ctrl+f search to find your individual tag:
This competition will be taking place at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO). If you are traveling by car, SLO is right off of 101. There is also a train station and airport in SLO if that is your mode of transportation. Alternatively, SFO and LAX airports are both about a 3-4 hour drive from SLO.
Most of the food places on campus are closed on the weekends. However, there are plenty of restaraunts within a 2 mile radius of the venue to get lunch at.
There is a parking lot right outside the venue. It is the H2 parking lot on campus. You will have to pay for parking in the meters in front of your parking space. The parking lot is circled in red on the map and the venue building is circled in black
This competition is sponsored by TheCubicle! You can check out their website here -> https://thecubicle.com
This competition is in partnership with West Coast Cubing LLC! You can learn more about WCC here -> https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastCubingLLC
We are sincerely flattered at how many people registered for CalPoly SLO Spring 2022. Our registration list is now full, and the waitlist has begun. Below are the top 5 competitors on the waitlist:
All minors attending this competition must have their parent or legal guardian fill out the following document and email it to us within one week (7 days) of the competition. Adults attending do not have to fill this out.
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.